The Column

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Don't loose that dictionary: You're most common misspellings

I heard this list of most common misspellings on a radio program recently, and I just had to share it. Check 'em out, and if the shoe fits ...

YOU'RE / YOUR - "You're" is a contraction for you are. "Your" denotes something that belongs to you. You're going to drive your car.

IT'S / ITS - I have to think about this one, but it follows the same rules as you're/your.

THEY'RE / THEIR / THERE - They're = they are. Their = belonging to them. There = Not here, but ...

TOO / TO - "Too" is, for lack of a better word, inclusive. I'm cutting you in on the action. Are you going TO throw up, TOO?

LOOSE / LOSE - "Loose" is the opposite of tight, and if it stays LOOSE too long, you just might LOSE it.

IRREGARDLESS - This isn't even a word. It's a made-up one, often used in the wrong context, and by it's very nature (the ir- prefix and -less suffix) it denotes a double negative. Didn't Mom teach you better than that?

ALOT - I see this a lot. Also not a word, though it's so prevalent it may actually become one. Every time I see it in print, I bemoan all this illiteracy around me.

AHOLD - Also not a word, though I'm sometimes guilty of using it.


No comments: