The Column

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Manson cohort 'Squeaky' Fromme gets parole

Although most of the Manson clan has been locked up for 40 years and has little chance of seeing daylight again, Lynnette "Squeaky" Fromme, now 60, is set to be released on parole this month.

Fromme was convicted in 1975 of pointing a gun at then-President Gerald Ford in Sacramento, California.

Except for a two-day stretch in 1987 when she had escaped from a West Virginia prison, Fromme spent the last 34 years in custody.

Although she's remained loyal to Manson for decades after his arrest 40 years ago for his role in the Sharon Tate slayings, a prison official would not say whether she still corresponded with the mass murderer.


Secret Service agents prevented her from firing, but the gun was later found to have no bullet in the chamber, although it contained a clip of ammunition ... in a 1987 interview with CNN affiliate WCHS, Fromme, then housed in West Virginia, recalled the president "had his hands out and was waving ... and he looked like cardboard to me. But at the same time, I had ejected the bullet in my apartment and I used the gun as it was." ... she said she knew Ford was in town and near her, "and I said, 'I gotta go and talk to him,' and then I thought, 'That's foolish. He's not going to stop and talk to you.' People have already shown you can lay blood in front of them and they're not, you know, they don't think anything of it. I said, 'Maybe I'll take the gun,' and I thought, 'I have to do this. This is the time.' "

Photo:

Lynnette "Squeaky" Fromme appears in court in Los Angeles, California, in December 1969.

Further reading:

No comments: