The Column

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cooking without salt doesn't mean bland dinner

I'm still thinking about salt here; talk of more government regulation always does this to me.

I don't use much salt. I don't even keep it in the house. Part of it is the health angle, but part of it is just plain preference. I use a lot of other seasonings in the kitchen, and my cooking -- which I'd describe as more utilitarian than gourmet -- is anything but bland. When I eat I want to actually taste something; it's part of the pleasure of eating.

Here's a partial inventory of my spice rack:

  • Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning blend: This is my go-to, and I use it like most people use salt.
  • Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy seasoning blend: I use this when I want to kick it up a notch.
  • Tabasco sauce: Required. I use it in my morning grits, too. A bit hotter and more of an aged-in-the-keg taste than Texas Pete.
  • 5th Season Italian Seasoning: Any kind of Italian seasoning will work; this is the cheap stuff (half a buck at WalMart). Has thyme, oregano, and who-knows-what in it. I'll use it in eggs and on grilled cheese sandwiches, too.
  • Garlic powder: Another must-have. Leave the garlic salt for the amateurs.
  • Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning: This does have salt, but the red pepper is enough to counterbalance the effects.
  • Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning: A friend turned me on to this. It has salt and monosodium glutamate in it, and I don't use it much. It's good on burgers, though.
  • Dill weed: Good on fish and in casseroles; gives a little extra tangy bite.

But I do have a stash of pretzels somewhere in yonder kitchen. After reading about New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's campaign to regulate salt usage in restaurants and processed food, I need some junk food ... and I need it now.

###

No comments: