The Column

Friday, January 29, 2010

Some tweaking expected for The Column; not sure what

Well, that's a fine mess I got myself into.

As I mentioned, I'm doing a lot more writing these days. I'm talking about the writing that puts some of the ol' cabbage on my table.

Which isn't that much of a problem. If nothing else, in my journalism days I was prolific, and my old chops are just about all the way back. So coming up with material for this space isn't that much of a problem.

Here's the deal, though. Among my other pursuits I'm doing political commentary in The Examiner, as you might have noticed from my occasional blurbs and links (and if you're not clicking them, shame on you!). Much of the stuff I'm writing there is what I've been doing here all along, though a little bit more localized.

Which leaves the question of exactly what to write here.

I could do things the cheap and dirty way and cross-post, so I'm running duplicate content here and in The Examiner. But I'm not going to do that. Let the amateur bloggers pull that garbage off, and here's to hard disk crashes and melted CPUs for the whole stinkin' lot of them.

Giving up The Column, Reloaded is not an option either. This is my baby, and I'm gonna keep it.

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, shooting wild, but here's what you might see in this space:

  • A center point, sort of a clearing house of the other things I'm writing, with links and the whole bit.
  • An expansion of some of the issues I'm covering in The Examiner. Maybe I'll go a little deeper here, really explore things. You might see longer essays with a lot of the background stuff and editorial "I" things that got left on the cutting room floor.
  • Maybe shorter posts, kind of a "government at its finest" theme. I always did love to mention some of the stupid things our folks in power try to get away with, maybe season it with a whole lot of salt, and serve it up in print.
  • Some personal stuff.
  • The rejects: Some of the writings I couldn't palm off on someone else for a price.

Meaning, dogged if I know.

Something about me I should mention. I despise all manner of hypocrisy. I get downright ill-tempered with inefficiency, unless it's mine own. I'm quick to point out when I'm surrounded by turkeys. I've always been a thinking man (I've been accused of living in my own head), and never could understand why everyone else isn't like that.

Or something.

Ahh, as I look at what I've written here, I'm leaning toward the "government at its finest" angle. Dress it up with ... well, with something, anyway. And, as I'm noticing, that's the stuff that gets read in here.

All this means I haven't figured it out yet. But hang in there. The Column, Reloaded will evolve into something, and when change comes in this manner it usually means it's for the better.

###


No comments: