The Column

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

New 'Quick & Dirty' section uses Twitter

Being one who loves tech things, of course I had to check into the mini-blog phenomenon called Twitter.

For those who are not sure what that is, it's what's called a "mini-blog" in some circles. You make your entries, they're disseminated on line, and all that good stuff. These are short messages, about 140 characters tops. Messages are mostly of the "what are you doing right now" variety, which makes for some horrendously boring reading.

OK. Here's where things get fun, though. I have been able to add my Twitter feed to this blog, which allows me to throw in some late-breaking stuff or short pieces. A blog within a blog, if you will. I will be able to send dispatches through the text message interface on my cell phone, which makes for some intriguing possibilities.

Here's the catch, though. For you subscribers, these Twitterings will not show up in your RSS reader or email. Oh well. I guess some folks will have to bite the bullet and go to my actual page every once in a while.

(Personal footnote: I may be going with this Twitter system a bit more over the next few weeks while I figure out what happened to my wireless Internet signal. It seems to have gone somewhere. But as they say, you get what you pay for.)

Enjoy!


No comments: