The Column

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How to recycle an old Navy Base 101

Before -- Not long after the Navy base shut down



After: Now part of Riverfront Park





Anyone who knows me will tell you that land developers are among my favorite people, right up there with politicians and lawyers. I have this inability to keep my mouth shut or pen still when I feel a project or subdivision is being built to everyone's detriment except maybe to a few people's bottom lines. Unfortunately, that's what happens more often than not.

Let's be fair about this, though. When a developer does something to truly upgrade a community, I'm right there in line to say, hey, good job.

I'll let these photos do the talking. Same spot, a few years apart. The site: Charleston's old Navy Base, which shut down in the late 1990s, and is now home to the ambitious Noisette Creek project in North Charleston. The photos were furnished by Jim Augustin of Noisette Company.

A few months ago I took a bike trip through the old Navy Yards and Old Town in North Charleston, and was properly impressed by what I saw.

Good job!

No comments: