The Column

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Drugs do the darnedest things


I already knew I live in a strange neighborhood; I just didn't realize how strange.



I'm in my home office this afternoon when I hear noises outside the trailer. I didn't think much of it as long as nobody's trying to get in, so I continue work.



More noises. Louder. From my kitchen. So I go and check it out.



Since it's been so hot lately I've been keeping my kitchen window open above my sink. And someone's reaching through the window.



It's a young woman, and she's stoned out of her gourd. And she's washing the dishes in my sink, from outside.



It turned out she also watered my plants outside, neatened up my porch, things like that. I really don't think she meant anything wrong; it's just one of those who-knows-what, drug-induced things. 


No harm, no foul, but ... strange.



I confronted her, more questioning than angry. Must have scared her off; she tottered away. I probably should have waited until she finished the dishes. Good help is hard to find these days.



###