The Column

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Wireless Follies: The Sequel

Not long ago, I wrote about the troubles that Charleston and other areas are having with trying to build a citywide wireless Internet system.

You can add Riverside, California to that list of cities that are finding this out the hard way.

Riverside is where I grew up, and it's a fast-growing area. Cutting edge, allegedly. The Inland Empire. Home to nearly 300,000 people, though it's hard to tell because the turnstiles broke years ago.

For some time my parents have been eagerly waiting for the signal to cue up their wireless cards. We've discussed the issue off and on, and in fact they were the ones who sent me the Sacramento Bee story that became the basis for a blog entry. But anyway, they're not expecing wireless to hit their area anytime soon.

According to the smartriverside.com website, here is how coverage looks in Riverside right now. If you're sitting in a green area, you're good to go:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As you can see, it's pretty spotty. Uhh, like, very spotty. Three areas where you can get a good signal from the city. I know that city -- hell, I grew up there -- and I'm curious to know if people actually live in the areas that are seeing service.

I mention this because a few minutes ago I got a note from Mom and Dad saying they opted for DSL. As Dad put it, he added the city's time frame to his own age and it didn't look all that promising.

Charleston is in the same boat. Even with Mom and Dad spotting me about 30 years, the chance of me seeing a citywide Internet wireless service in my town is pretty slim.

Oh, well.

No comments: