The Column

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dare I ask: What's in the shovel?

According to the White House's own site, recovery.gov, the federal stimulus plan "created or saved" 594,754.3 jobs since its inception.

Right from the jump I should mention this: The numbers are immediately suspect. This is the same Web site that gave employment figures for nonexistent Congressional districts, remember?

Anyway, a full two thirds of these so-called "shovel-ready jobs" (the government's term, not mine) were in what is probably the most heavily-unionized department in the public sector, the Department of Education. Yes, teachers.

Understand, as inefficient and ineffective our government-run education system is, I can't talk bad about teachers. I've had some wonderful ones when I was a kid, even though it was so long ago. And among those I would consider my dearest friends today, there is a disproportionate number of ... teachers ... and law enforcement folks. In my close-knit circle of friends, and by this I mean folks I'd have no problem trusting with my life, I could name off at least a half-dozen teachers. So forget that broad brush.

But still ... shovel-ready? Teachers?

I tell you, it's too good to pass up. Fill in your own joke here.

###


No comments: