The Column

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

February 2009 an OCD dream


(Graphics from smashingmagazine.com)

OK. You've been staring at it for more than three weeks now, and you might have caught on to a relative anomaly. February 2009 could be called "the perfect month."

So what's this perfect month? It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the month; in fact many people will say that February 2009 has really sucked so far. I'm talking about how it lays in the calendar, four weeks, starting on Sunday, ending on Saturday, with nothing left hanging over on the first or last lines. A perfect month, if only for the esthetic standpoint. Or, if you have a slight case of obsessive-compulsive disorder -- one of those types who checks five or six times to make sure the stove is off before leaving for work (and more if you actually turned it on) -- it's a dream month.

A neat bit of trivia, too. These perfect months are not real common. In my 51 years, I've lived through six of them. I've seen them in 1959, 1970, 1981, 1987, 1998, and now -- always February, of course.

This isn't as big or splashy or rare as Halley's Comet, but I find it kinda interesting (admittedly, I find a lot of mundane things to be interesting). The next "perfect month" will be in 2015, and my OCD self will be ready. By then I'll have straightened the pictures at home numberless times -- that's something that really bugs me.

No comments: